Second All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference with International Participation “Islam: Psychological Stability is the Basis of Personaland Social Well-Being” Subject of the conference: “Islam: A Conscious Choice or Following the Tradition?”
ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS STAGES OF CREATION
- The founders of the Association of Islamic Psychologists
- The goals and objectives of the Association of Islamic Psychologists
- The organizational structure of the Islamic Association of Psychologists
- The target audience of the Association of Islamic Psychologists
- The activities of the Association of Islamic Psychologists
- The main conclusions of the work: December 2016 - December 2017. Long-term planning for 2018
- Resolution of all-Russian scientific-practical conference «Islam: psychological stability is the Foundation of personal and social well-being».
At present, the need to provide regular professional psychological assistance to Muslims and their families has become evident. Professional psychological technologies should be consistent with the specificity of Islam and the way of life of Muslims. For this reason, it is necessary to develop psychology of Islam as a branch of applied psychology.
Nowadays there are individual enthusiasts, psychologists and religious leaders who work in this area and empirically develop a system of psychological assistance to Muslims in Russia. Islamic psychologists are actively working with alcohol and drug addictions, solve the problems of child-parent relations, deal with family and marriage issues, interethnic and interreligious relations, help people in difficult life situations, rehabilitate Muslims after breaking with criminal groups, etc.
However, we must admit that every specialist treats the problem of providing spiritual-oriented psychological assistance within the framework of Islam in his own way; there is no single methodological approach. At present, there is very little information in the domestic psychology as well as in religious (Islamic) science that can be attributed, at least indirectly, to the problems of psychology of Islam. Practically there are no scientific researches in this area; there is no analysis and comprehension of practical results and work experience. At the same time, there are many questions on the agenda that have a direct relation to the psychological health of the Muslim person and the psychological security of society as a whole.
The actual request of the society was the problem of deep psychological study of the problem of religious motivated extremism and psychological prevention of these phenomena, since it is obvious that individuals inclined to extremist activity are people who have a large number of unprocessed serious psychological problems that are the primary cause of extremist behavior.
Equally topical are recent requests for consultations on various issues of family, child-parent relations from the Muslims themselves and their family members, including interethnic/interreligious kin (active migration has increased the number of inter-ethnic/inter-religious marriages, one of whose spouses is a Muslim).
The problem of changing religious identity, the emergence of a fairly large number of «non-ethnic», for example, Russian Muslims; counteraction to addictions, depressions and other problems of modern society by the means of Islamic knowledge and religious practice – these are just a small number of issues that await their decision from specialists with sufficient knowledge, both in the field of psychology and in the field of Islam.
Thus, the request for the development of psychological problems within the framework of Islam is great and considerably exceeds the offer.
In order to generalize the practical experience and theoretical knowledge accumulated in the regions of the Russian Federation by psychologists, teachers, imams, theologians, philosophers, scholars of Islam and ethnographers about the psychological characteristics of Muslims, and with the goal of ensuring systematic professional and spiritually oriented psychological assistance to Muslims, it was decided to establish a single coordinating center – the Association of Islamic Psychologists.
CREATORS OF ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS
The initiator of the creation of the ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS is Pavlova Aliya Olga Sergeyevna (Moscow), Ph.D. in Pedagogy, Associate Professor at the Department of Cross-Cultural Psychology and Psychological Problems of Multicultural Education, Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, member of the International Association for the Psychology of Religion (IAPR); a member of the Russian Religious Society. Member of the editorial board of the journal “Islam in the Modern World”, deputy editor-inchief of the journal “Minbar. Islamic studies”. Active participant of the International All-Russian scientific and practical conferences, forums, congresses and round tables. Author of more than 100 scientific articles and monographs on the problems of psychology of Islam, psychological aspects of ethnic and religious identity, value orientations of Muslims.
In 1993 she graduated from the Moscow Pedagogical State University. At present, she is a student of the third year of the bachelor’s degree in the Moscow Theological Institute in the direction of «Theology», a student of the first year of the Master’s program of the Russian Islamic Institute in the direction of «Theology».
CREATORS OF ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS
The scientific advisers of the Association of Islamic Psychologists were:
- Khukhlaev Oleg Evgenevich, Candidate of Psychology Sciences, Prof., Head of the Department of ethnopsychology and psychological problems of multicultural education in Moscow State Psychological and Pedagogical University, Moscow
- Khrebina Svetlana Vladimirovna, PhD in Psychology ciences, Head of the Department of Psychology of Personality and Professional Activity in Pyatigorsk State University, Pyatigorsk
- Boyazitova Irina Valeryevna, PhD in Psychology Sciences, Head of the Department of General and Pedagogical Psychology in Pyatigorsk State University, Pyatigorsk
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS
The aim of the Association of Islamic Psychologists is to coordinate the activities of all interested specialists (psychologists, imams, teachers, etc.) in the development of the psychology of Islam as the applied field of the psychology of religion for the successful resolution of the actual psychological problems of Russian Muslims and the provision of spiritually oriented psychological assistance.
- Study, identification, generalization of advanced Russian and foreign Islamic and psychological experience accumulated in the field of the psychology of religion.
- Provision of network interaction of specialists in different areas in the complex work on implementation of various programs and directions of the Association, positive experience exchange of the regions of the Russian Federation.
- Realization of programs of professional development of specialists through courses, round tables, seminars, scientific and practical conferences.
- Development, adaptation and definition of optimal psychological methods, forms and methods of spiritually oriented psychological assistance to Muslims.
- Provide timely professional psychological assistance to Muslims, taking into account and applying Islamic knowledge through means of various forms and methods of work, including the helpline.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE OF ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGYSTS
TARGET AUDIENCE OF ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS
The Association of Islamic Psychologists faces important tasks aimed at maintaining the mental health of the Islamic community. Therefore, every Muslim regardless of age, social status and position can apply for psychological help. Special attention of psychologists is paid to “at-risk groups”: neophyte Muslims, prisoners, who have been recruited into extremist organizations.
The main areas of work are research, practice-oriented, educational and methodical, information and educational. They are substantively disclosed in various organizational forms of activity of the Association of Islamic Psychologists. Research activity It is aimed at studying the accumulated Russian and foreign experience both in the field of the psychology of religion in general and in the field of the psychology of Islam; the study of the contribution of Muslim scholars to the development of psychology.
Research work includes:
- Analysis and study of Russian and foreign experience in the field of the psychology of religion.
- Correlation of existing knowledge and experience in the field of psychology with the canons of Islam.
- Conducting scientific psychological empirical studies aimed at studying the psychological characteristics of Muslims.
- Analysis of the results of domestic and foreign empirical research for the implementation of scientifically based psychological assistance by Muslims of the Russian Federation.
- Publication of the results of conducted research in a scientific peer-reviewed journal «Minbar. Islamic research», the scientific and educational journal «Islam: personality and society».
Educational and methodical activity
It is aimed at implementing programs to improve the professional qualifications of specialists through courses, round tables, seminars, scientific and practical conferences. It includes:
- Development and creation of educational programs and manuals aimed at developing and improving the professional competencies of specialists.
- Organization and conduct of refresher courses, webinars for psychologists, teachers, imams and other interested specialists.
- Consultation and support of specialists in the implementation of the programs of the Association of Islamic Psychologists.
- Development of methodological guides on the psychology of Islam for regional centers of psychological assistance, madrassas, educational institutions.
- Publication of the results of conducted research in the scientific peer-reviewed journal "Minbar. Islamic research", the scientific and educational journal «Islam: personality and society».
Collections of materials and scientific articles prepared by the ASSOCIATION OF ISLAMIC PSYCHOLOGISTS
Practically oriented activity
It is aimed at professional psychological assistance to Muslims. It includes:
- Approbation of various psychological technologies with reliance on religious aspects (Islam).
- Carrying out of events (trainings, master classes, round tables, discussion meetings, counseling, etc.) aimed at socialization and adaptation of Muslims in modern society.
- Carrying out activities aimed at rehabilitation of Muslims who have fallen into a difficult life situation.
- Psychological rehabilitation of persons exposed to extremist propaganda, recruitment, as well as those who stayed in extremist organizations.
- Work with Muslim prisoners, especially susceptible to extremist propaganda.
- Coordination and search for specialists on requests through the creation of a database of Islamic psychologists.
- On-line psychological counseling through the site islampsiholog.ru.
Information and education activity
It is aimed at carrying out measures for the prevention and detection of extremist tendency, preventing intrafamily and interethnic conflict situations, as well as for carrying out educational activities aimed at harmonization and successful personal development of Muslims. Information and education work includes:
- Information support of all specialists involved in the work of the Association, as well as other interested persons through the site islampsiholog.ru and the journal “Minbar. Islamic studies”.
- Tracking in social networks the propagation of perverted interpretations of Islam towards fanaticism, radicalism, extremism, the use of methods of recruitment in “totalitarian” sects, and redirecting objects of extremist propaganda to experienced Islamologists and psychologists.
- Educational activities (lectures, talks, printed materials) aimed at preventing the destructive and antisocial behavior of Muslims in society.
MAIN CONCLUSIONS ON WORK: DECEMBER 2016 - DECEMBER 2017 PERSPECTIVE PLANNING FOR 2018
Despite the fact that in 2017 the Association of Islamic Psychologists was at the stage of formation and holding of initial familiarization activities in the regions of the Russian Federation, it can now be concluded that this direction is in demand and finds a huge response among interested specialists (psychologists, educators, religious leaders and others).
Throughout the year, activities were carried out in four main areas: research, information and educational, practically oriented, educational and methodical.
The organization participated in more than 40 international, all-Russian, regional events: scientific and practical conferences, seminars, roundtables, discussion meetings, where over 2700 scientists, imams, religious scholars, journalists, doctors, teachers of higher and general education institutions, psychologists, students and public activists became participants.
The most important stage in the establishment of the Association of Islamic Psychologists was the organization and holding of the First All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference ‘ISLAM: PSYCHOLOGICAL STABILITY IS THE BASIS OF PERSONAL AND PUBLIC WELFARE” in September 29, 2017 in Moscow.
Preparation and implementation of the conference was preceded by the holding in 2016-2017 round tables on the topic of Islamic psychology in Moscow (in the Moscow House of Nationalities and in the International Women’s Club “Aisha”); in Kazan, in the Resource Center for the Development of Islamic and Islamic Studies of the Institute of International Relations, History and Oriental Studies “Kazan (Privolzhsky) Federal University”; in St. Petersburg, in the Spiritual Administration of Muslims of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region (St. Petersburg Mukhtasibat); in Nazran, in the Center for Psychological Assistance and Psychological Post-Crisis Rehabilitation.
95 specialists of theorists and practitioners (psychologists, teachers, imams, theologians, philosophers, islamologists, doctors, journalists, ethnographers, public figures) from twenty regions of the Russian Federation were involved in the conference: the Republic of Tatarstan, the Republic of Bashkortostan, the Republic of Crimea, the Republic of Dagestan, Republic of Adygea, Chechen Republic, Republic of Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkarian Republic, Republic of North Ossetia-Alania, Karachay-Cherkess Republic, Stavropol Territory, Republic of Mordovia, Republic of Karelia, Saratov, Ryazan, Yaroslavl, Orenburg, St. Petersburg, Moscow.
Regional trainings, master classes, psychological consultations were organized and conducted.
The basic conclusions allow to make perspective planning for 2018
The Association of Islamic Psychologists plans to continue the activities and development of the specified areas: conducting refresher courses, webinars, online consultations for Islamic psychologists, imams, teachers, specialists of the Federal Penitentiary Service; the creation of a unified regional database of specialists to provide timely professional psychological assistance to Muslims; publication of scientific and educational, methodical and preventive literature; realization of information support of all specialists involved in the work of the Association, as well as other interested persons through the site islampsiholog. ru and magazines: “Minbar. Islamic Studies” and “Islam: Personality and Society”; creation and distribution of short videos aimed at maintaining a positive image of Muslims, preventing radicalism and extremism; the establishment of cooperation and interaction with foreign international psychological organizations whose activities are connected with the problems of the psychology of religion, the psychology of Islam and psychological help to Muslims:
- International Association for the Psychology of Religion (IAPR)
- International Association of Muslim Psychologists (MALAYSIA)
- International Institute of Islamic Thought & Civilization (ISTAC) (MALAYSIA)
- North American Association of Islamic and Muslim Studies (USA)
- Muslim Family Matters (Great Britain)
- Center for Islamic Counseling and Guidance Rahmaa Institute (USA).
ANNEX RESOLUTION OF THE FIRST ALL-RUSSIAN SCIENTIFIC AND PRACTICAL CONFERENCE “ISLAM: PSYCHOLOGICAL STABILITY IS THE BASIS OF PERSONAL AND PUBLIC WELFARE”
One of the outcomes of the First All-Russian Scientific and Practical Conference “Islam: Psychological Stability is the Basis of Personal and Public Welfare” was the unanimous adoption of the resolution, which included the following items:
- Religiousness and religious faith are a powerful resource of psychological well-being, the basis of the psychological stability of the person of a Muslim. However, a number of social factors, as well as lack of education and a shallow understanding of their religion, lead to a wide distribution in the Muslim environment of a large number of psychological problems, in particular, problems in marital and child-parent relations, interethnic, including intra-family relations; to intensification of such negative psychological conditions as a tendency to aggression, alienation; to the spreading of various kinds of addictions, to depression. All these kinds of psychological problems are the breeding ground for the purposeful work of the moderators of extremist and terrorist activities. By manipulating the psyche of believers, distorting religious texts and adjusting them for extremist purposes, they motivate believers to do something forbidden by God and people, including suicide for terrorist purposes, as the supposedly the only way to achieve psychological well-being in this and in the next life.
An actual socio-psychological problem is the emergence of a significant number of neophytes from among «non-ethnic» Muslims. A new religious identity requires the neophyte to abruptly change his way of life and enter into completely new, previously unfamiliar relations with him, observing often not only Islamic, but also conservative ethnic traditions. With a sharp change in milestones, neophytes often fall not to genuine spiritual teachers, but to manipulators-sectarians, recruiters in extremist organizations. Thus, the solution of the psychological problems of Muslims requires professional psychological assistance, combined with knowledge of Islam and ethno-religious features of the life of believers.
- In connection with this, there is an urgent need to create a Center for Psychological Aid to Muslims in